One of the most important benefits of membership is the discounted application fees to sit for SCMHR certification exams. Members and nonmembers alike must achieve 75 hours (7.5 units) of approved continuing education every five years to maintain certification, or retake the exam. While nonmembers pay a fee for CEU database maintenance, members receive this free as a benefit of membership––a savings of $125 per CEU event!
SCMHR offers three different certifications. Two are for electrologists only, while our laser and pulsed-light hair removal exam can be taken by anyone who practices these modalities.
For more information about any of our certification programs, please contact the SCMHR Home Office.
SCMHR is dedicated to life-long learning in the ever-changing field of hair removal, and offers several opportunities for continuing education:
- SCMHR’s home study library, with over 75 written and web-based titles consisting of one-, two-, three- and four-hour programs. SCMHR members receive discounted rates! Members receive a free 2-hour online course with each new membership and subsequent renewal.
- SCMHR webinars offer two-hours of live continuing education from the comfort of your home, and members receive discounted registration fees. Certified members who participate in two or more webinars during their five-year recertification period may waive the recertification fee.
Website and Publications
- Members have access to the Members-Only section of the website, and can update their listing, view members-only consultation videos, download patient brochures, and are listed for public viewing as a way to advertise to those looking for services.
- SCMHR’s web-based newsletter, Perspectives, is available to members when time-sensitive information needs to reach members quickly. (Members without web or email access are mailed a copy.)
- An optional subscription to Dermascope, a monthly aesthetics magazine available to members for an additional $40.
- Certification Preparation Study Guides© for SCMHR’s certification exams.
- Laser Safety Guide©
- Infection Control Practices and Sterilization For Electrology and Laser Hair Removal© (Available in printed and CD formats.)
- Exclusive access to SCMHR’s professionally-produced consultation videos for your new and potential clients.
Member discounts on malpractice insurance through Professional Programs Insurance Brokerage. (Discounts will vary by member.)
Supporting our Veterans
Veterans of the United States Armed Forces who have not previously been a member of SCMHR are entitled to one free year of membership. (SCMHR membership year is July 1– June 30.) Proof of military service is required with completed application.